Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorSenGupta, R.
dc.contributor.authorMurty, C.S.
dc.contributor.authorBhattathiri, P.M.A.
dc.contributor.editorBose, A.N.
dc.date.accessioned1995-07-22T10:01:51Z
dc.date.accessioned2017-09-30T01:30:01Z
dc.date.available1995-07-22T10:01:51Z
dc.date.available2017-09-30T01:30:01Z
dc.date.issued1989
dc.identifier.citationCoastal zone management of West Bengal. Proceeding of All India Workshop, Calcutta, India; 14-16 Dec 1989.; 1989; E.19-E.48
dc.identifier.urihttp://drs.nio.org/drs/handle/2264/7308
dc.description.abstractThis report presents physical, chemical and biological observations in the last 160 km stretch of river Ganga for period of 3 years. In the one-layer estuary the mixing is brought about by the horizontal gradient of the flow field closely associated with tides. Direction of the axis of the ellipse at the mouth indicate the possibility of the return of part of the outflow along with the inflow. Penetration of the salt front never goes beyond Diamond Harbour, clearly demarcating the estuarine limits. A significant chemical reaction zone exists between Diamond Harbour and Haldia resulting in precipitation of a good amount of nutrients and some dissolved metals. A zone of addition of nutrients could be noted from observations between Haldia and Sagar Island. About 85% of the dissolved metals settle within the river leaving only 15% to flow out. Only 10% of the suspended and particulate metals settle within the estuary, 50% at the confluence of river water with sea water and 40% finally flows out the open Bay of Bengal. Photosynthetic productivity and chlorophyll a decrease down stream. High zooplankton standing stock is observed. Copepods from the dominant constituent and numerous larvae and juveniles of commercially important fishes and prawns are observed. Occurrence and distribution of bacteria of health significance can be expected to be fairly high in the estuary. Significant numbers of the bacteria, which is the etiologic agent for food-bome gastroenteritis, are present in the waters and sediments at Sandheads and off the newly formed New Moore Island. These observations would indicate that the estuarine region of river Ganga, as of now, has poor water quality and consequently weak recipient capacity
dc.languageen
dc.publisherSea Explorers Institute
dc.relation.isbasedonAll India Workshop on Coastal zone management of West Bengal., Calcutta, India; 14-16 Dec 1989
dc.relation.isreferencedbyNON-SCI
dc.subjectOceanography and Limnology
dc.subject.otherWater Analysis
dc.subject.otherSediments
dc.subject.otherPrimary Production
dc.subject.otherEstuaries
dc.subject.otherChemical Properties
dc.subject.otherBiological Surveys
dc.subject.otherBrackish Water
dc.subject.otherISW, India, West Bengal, Ganga Estuary
dc.titleThe environmental characteristics of the Ganga estuary
dc.typeConference Article
dc.affiliation.authorCSIR-National Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula, Goa, India


Files in this item

FilesSizeFormatView

There are no files associated with this item.

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record